Tim Martin... a unique proposition amongst his peers.
Not many trainers possess the natural horsemanship of Tim Martin. He is certainly a unique proposition amongst his peers.
Tim is one of the only Group One trainers who selects, educates and rides his own charges in track work.
When questioned about this Tim stated “I have found, throughout my career, that to really understand where a horse is at you need to ride and feel the animal to make informed decisions as to the best option moving forward and to give them the best chance of fulfilling their potential”.
It started early for Tim who grew up with horses, competing in rodeos, pony club and agricultural shows.
Tim’s uncle Ron Martin, (pictured), was a leading trainer in the Hunter & North Western New South Wales for 30 years. From the age of 10, Tim worked in his uncle’s stable and started riding track work. At 15 years old Tim left school to take over the running of his Uncle Ron’s stable.
“I knew racing was my calling. To be one of the best I needed to learn from the best so I needed to move to Sydney” said Tim
Six months later Tim went to Sydney and worked at Les Bridge’s stable at Randwick. He managed turf legends such as Sir Dapper, Drawn, Row of Waves and Melbourne Cup winner Kensai. The stable ran 3rd in the Sydney Premiership during the 2 years that Tim worked there.
Tim then moved to the great Tommy Smith yard, where he educated leading 2 year olds such as Star Watch (Golden Slipper Winner) and Comely Girl (Second to Star Watch in 1988 Golden Slipper).
With the knowledge he had gained and with his own natural ability, in1988 Tim returned to Walcha and started training for himself.
With a small team of 3 horses Tim’s first ever runner was a winner at Armidale; a filly named Arogen Mist. With increasing success Tim moved to Tamworth in 1992 and within 5 years became the leading Hunter and North West New South Wales trainer. With a full stable at Tamworth and 4 consecutive premiership wins Tim decided to open a Sydney Stable in 2001.
Tim has managed to place in the top 10 metropolitan trainers, based on winners, each year as well as maintaining an outstanding strike rate, placing him in the top 2-3 trainers.
In March 2014 Tim relinquished his Rosehill Stables and moved out to Heritage Farm at Oakdale to set up a world class breaking and pre training establishment and to spend time with his family. Heritage Park is now a fully functioning establishment and an integral part of Tim Martin Racing.
In late 2015 Tim returned to Rosehill. He has 7 loyal and highly capable staff who assist in managing 25- 30 horses at Rosehill and Heritage Park. “Having Heritage Park allows me to manage our horses in a stress-free way. We can float them out to the farm after a race and then back to the stables to prepare for their next challenge”.
The entire mix is working for Tim. So far in 2016 Tim has presented 32 horses to the races for 10 wins, 4 seconds and 2 thirds. His win percent is 31% and place percent is 50%. The last 100 starters have returned 16 wins, 20 seconds and 14 thirds giving him 14% win and 50% place rate. In April (2016) Tim presented 6 horses to the races for 2 wins, 1 second and 1 third with a 33% win rate and 67% place rate.
Tim attributes his success this far to his staff, Heritage Farm and to having a smaller team of horses. “I have had 60 horses in work in the past and the pressure on me, my staff and the horses was too much. Having a smaller number of quality animals gives me the opportunity to work on an individual level with each horse to present them on the best condition to win”....
Training highlights include:
- EXCEED AND EXCEL – 1st Gr.1 MRC Dubai Cup, Gr.1 VRC Newmarket Handicap, Gr.2 Sovereign Stakes, Gr.2 Up and Coming Stakes, Gr.2 Todman Stakes as well as a number of other Group and Listed races
- TYPHOON ZED – 1st Gr.1 Inglis Galaxy, Gr.1 Manikato Stakes and Gr.3 Concorde Stakes
- REDOUTE'S DANCER – 1st Gr.1 NZ Mercedes Derby and Gr.2 Mercedes Championship Stakes
- Thismanshood – 1st Gr.2 Hollindale Stakes, Gr.3 Summer Cup, Gr.3 Hawkesbury Gold Cup, Gr.3 Doomben Carnival Cup
- Stormhill – 1st Gr.2 Shannon Stakes, Gr.3 Kingston Town Stakes, Gr.3 Grafton Cup
- Pampelonne – 1st Gr.2 "The shorts" and L Gosford Guineas
- Indian Ocean – 1st Gr.2 Magic Night Stakes
- Monton – 1st Gr.2 Hobartville Stakes
- Fibrillation – 1st Gr.3 Epona Stakes and L Aspiration Quality
- Heavens Above - 1st Gr.3 City Ford Group Aspiration Hcp, 2nd Gr.1 Queen of the Turf
- Teasing – 1st Gr.3 Missile Stakes
- Murtajill – 1st Gr.3 Lexus Skyline Stakes
- Anevay – 1st L Talindert Stakes
- Gonski – 1st L Concept Stakes
- Scouting Wide – 1st L W J Mckell Cup
- Oh Oklahoma – 2nd Gr.1 Rosehill Guineas